1. Collection of Personal Information. Active Schools may ask for information about our users at the point of registration. Such information may include name, e-mail address, zip code and role. This information tells us about the types of people who use the Site, allows us to verify a user’s identity and helps us tailor the Site to our audiences.
2. Use of Personally Identifiable Information. Active Schools will not sell or otherwise transfer or disclose personally identifiable information to third parties without the user’s prior consent except as may be required by federal, state or local law, or by exigent circumstances. That means that we will not disclose your name, e-mail address or street address without your consent. We may use your personally identifiable information to compile and display content and information that we think you might be interested in. We also may use your profile information on an aggregate basis — without personal identifiers — to develop and display new features and content for the Site, and to provide others with aggregate information about our users and the usage patterns of the Site. We also may perform statistical analyses of user behavior (on an aggregate basis) in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the Site.
3. Retention of User Information. It is not possible for a user to delete his or her profile from our database; nor is it feasible to delete all traces of a user’s activity in the system. Messages posted to bulletin boards are examples of user activities that are not feasible to delete.
4. Voluntary Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information on Bulletin Boards, News Groups and Chat Rooms, and other Interactive Areas (collectively “Interactive Areas”). Users should be aware that when they voluntarily disclose personally identifiable information (for example, user name, e-mail address) on an Interactive Area of the Site, that information, along with any substantive information disclosed in the user’s communication, can be collected, correlated and used by third parties and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties. Such activities are beyond our control and Active Schools is not responsible for the discoverability of any user’s identity by methods beyond our control.
5. Cookie Technology. Active Schools collects non-personal identification information through the use of “cookie” technology and/or Internet Protocol (“IP”) address tracking. Cookies are small text files a website can use to recognize repeat users and facilitate the user’s ongoing access to and use of the site. Non-personal identification information might include the browser used by the user, the type of computer, the operating systems, the Internet service providers and other similar information. Our system also automatically gathers information about the areas the user visits on the Site and about the links the user may select from within the Site to other sites.
6. Password Protected Areas. Active Schools does not warrant or represent that the information you submit to the Site will be protected against loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties. You are responsible for taking all steps to ensure that no other person has access to your password or account. It is your sole responsibility to (1) control the dissemination and use of your password; (2) authorize, monitor, and control access to and use of your password; and (3) promptly inform us of any need to deactivate your user name or password. You hereby agree to permit Active Schools and all other persons or entities involved in the operation of the Site to transmit, monitor, retrieve, store and use your information in connection with the operation of the Site. Active Schools does not assume any responsibility or liability for any information submitted by you to the Site or for your or third parties’ use or misuse of information transmitted or received through the Site.
8. Security of Information. Active Schools is committed to keeping user information secure and uses industry standard technology in an attempt to achieve that goal.
9. Release of Information to Comply with Legal Requirements or Government Request. Active Schools reserves the right at all times to disclose any information uploaded to or appearing on the Site to the extent necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, subpoena or governmental request.
10. Removal of Information and Termination of Usage. Active Schools reserves the right, but does not assume any responsibility, to (1) remove from the Site any material posted by you which Active Schools, in its sole discretion, deems inconsistent with these Terms and Conditions; and/or (2) terminate your access to all or part of the Site. However, Active Schools can neither review all material prior to transmission on the website nor ensure prompt action with respect to objectionable material after it is transmitted on the Site. Accordingly, Active Schools assumes no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications, or other content that is provided by third parties. Active Schools reserves the right to take any action it deems necessary to protect the personal safety of users of the Site and the public, however, it has no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities in this paragraph.
11. Parental Permission. Active Schools does not intend that children will use the Site. USERS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE MUST OBTAIN PARENTAL PERMISSION TO USE THE SITE. Adults should not assist unauthorized children to access the Site. Active Schools will not knowingly collect, use or disclose personally identifiable information about visitors under 18 years of age.
Active Schools is a national initiative; its home organization is Action for Healthy Kids®.
Last updated: 12/3/19