Take Your Parent to PE Week
September 24-28, 2018
Active Schools, a national movement to help schools provide at least 60 minutes a day of physical education and before, during and after school physical activity for all students, is sponsoring the second annual Take Your Parent to PE Week from September 24-28, 2018.
Active Healthy Students Make Better Learners
How can a school participate?
Register your school here. You’ll then have access to the free, downloadable Take Your Parent to PE Week logo, poster, and flyer.
By registering, your school may be selected for a college, Olympic, or professional athlete visit through Athletes for Hope (www.athletesforhope.org).
How should my school prepare?
1. Select your dates. We suggest all five days, but you can choose less.
2. Register and then download the logo, poster, and flyer from the links in the registration confirmation email.
3. Invite students’ parents to participate.
- Put it on the school calendar
- Announce it at back-to-school night
- Send a letter home; include a blurb in the school, PE, and PTA websites and newsletters
- Put it on the school’s outside sign
- Hang a banner outside the school’s front entrance
- Place signage throughout the school including hallways, office, gym, PTA/parent volunteer room
- Put a flyer in students’ take home folders for parents
- Make announcements reminding students to invite their parents
4. Plan outstanding lessons that illustrate learning (knowledge and skill), meaningful practice, and enjoyment – and ideally include parent participation.
5. Create an environment that showcases your PE program. For example, hang posters, display awards/recognition, decorate a bulletin board, have students make artwork.
6. During class, tell parents how they can support PE both at school and home. For example, by asking what their child learned in PE class that day/week, volunteering for special activities/events, being active together at home, and exploring community-based physical activity opportunities.
7. At the end of class, ask parents to Tweet about their experience using the hashtag #ParentsLovePE. And we hope that you, as PE teacher, will do the same. Including photos would be extra great.
How can parents participate?
By showing up for your child’s physical education class on one of the days in which the school is participating in Take Your Parent to PE Week. If you haven’t heard anything from your school about their participation in this week, talk to your school’s physical education teachers and principal and encourage them to do so.