Let’s Move! Active Schools and its national collaborative of leading health, education and private sector organizations want to help you celebrate National Physical Fitness & Sport Month to the fullest. Get moving with one of these #GimmeFive challenges or ideas to ensure 60 minutes of physical activity a day is the new norm schools across the country.
- Take 5 minutes to enroll your school in Let’s Move! Active Schools and WIN PRIZES! Each school that enrolls from May 1 –May 31 will be entered into a drawing to win a SPARK Prize Package valued at over $600. Ten packages will be awarded. Don’t forget to indicate SPARK as the referring source! *If your school is already enrolled, spread the word to another school. The package includes: (10) 7″ Foam Ball, (10) Licorice Speed Rope 7′ Orange, (10) Licorice Speed Rope 8′ Black, (2) Accusplit Accelerometer Pedometer AX2710 Rainbow Set/6, & (1) SPARK Digital Curriculum Set (program of choice).
Take 5 minutes to register for this FREE SPARK webinar “Physical Activity for Youth Programs: Ideas to Get Your Kids Moving this Summer” on Wednesday, May 20 at 8 p.m. ET. Learn about increasing activity time and appropriate social behavior, resources for before/after school programs provided through Let’s Move! Active Schools, and FREE research-based activities created specifically for after school programs.
2. Get Your PE On.
SHAPE America’s National Physical Education & Sport Week is May 1-7, kicking off the month. Participate by:
- Building your knowledge and network with these great resources.
- Highlighting the successes of your physical education program at banquets or events.
- Volunteering for a local school’s field day or physical education class.
3. Use 2 Wheels Instead of 4.
Encourage your students to bike to school on May 6 National Bike to School Day, or host an after-school bicycle event (i.e. bike rodeo, bicycle safety or skills clinic). Check out these Walkability and Bikeability Checklists to get started!
4. Apply for a Physical Activity or Physical Education Grant.
- KIDS in the GAME Grants. These $1,000-$5,000 KIDS in the GAME GO! will be awarded to schools to jumpstart physical activity among elementary school students. Schools can propose an idea of their own or choose one of many successful low-cost programs to get students moving. GO! Grants are exclusively for schools enrolled Let’s Move! Active Schools. Apply by June 1, 2015.
- Good Sports Offers Equipment Grants. Grants are open to all K-12 schools that serve youth in an economically disadvantaged area of the country. Schools that indicate enrollment in Let’s Move! Active Schools on their application will receive priority access. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- USA Track & Field (USATF) Grants. Although the grant period doesn’t open until June, mark your calendar now. From June 1-July 30, 2015, USATF will accept applications for a $1,000 scholarship to be used for purchase of a RunJumpThrow equipment kit. Then, in beginning in August 2015, USATF will award a $1,000 scholarship to one Let’s Move! Active Schools enrolled school every week for one year leading into the 2016 Olympic Games. Check back to our Resources & Grants page for more information soon.
5. Liven Up Your Resource Library.
The end of the school year is a great time to try a new activity with students or to engage staff and community members around fitness and wellness. Try one of these Let’s Move! Active Schools favorites:
- Action for Healthy Kids “Get in the Action Center”
- Active Schools Acceleration Project’s 100 Mile Club ®
- Fire Up Your Feet
- Fit for a Healthier Generation Videos
- Fuel Up to Play 60’s 2015-16 Playbook
- GoNoodle Classroom Brain Breaks
- I Can Do It, You Can Do It!
- SPARK Physical Education Lesson Plans (Elementary, Middle and High School options)
- SHAPE America’s Instructional Framework for Fitness Education In Physical Education